Cooking Live with Lyric- Cheese Sticks Recipe
So I don’t know about you but I love cheese and just about anything crunchy. Cheese sticks are one of my favorites that I grew up loving and of course the quarantine inspired me to make some of my childhood favorites at home.
I personally love really crunchy cheese sticks and the sound of the crunch needs to be epic or else I feel like meh. But seriously, this recipe is a hit when it comes to simplicity and big flavor and crunch that tastes like you went to a restaurant. I was feeling myself so I coupled this with homemade hand cut fries. Absolutely a hit! Try the recipe below and let me know your thoughts.
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Get a baking sheet and line with parchment paper and set aside
- Remove your string cheese from individual wrappers and set aside
- Pour flour into a pie dish/ bowl
- In another pie dish/ bowl, add eggs + milk and beat with a fork
- For a finer breading, place bread crumbs, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder into a food processor and pulse mixture until finely ground. I usually use the bread crumbs as is from the box. Pour the bread crumbs mixture into a third pie dish/ bowl.
- Take a piece of cheese in the flour and turn to coat. Then coat in the milk+ egg mixture.
- Next, put the cheese in breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat. Repeat coating in milk+egg mixture and breadcrumbs.
- Lastly, place the coated cheese stick on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining cheese sticks.
- Line a baking sheet with 3 layers of paper towels and set aside.
- Add oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 400 degrees F. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can always place a sprinkle of flour in pan. If it fries quickly, the heat is ready. If it barely sizzles, it isn’t ready.
- Add a few cheese sticks to the hot oil but be sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. They cook fast so don’t walk away from the stove.
- Move the cheese sticks to the paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Pair with marinara of your choice and enjoy!